This article will give you some recommendations on home remedies for pink eye in babies.
Pink eye refers to the irritations and discomforts when you notice redness or feel itchy in the eyes. It might come with tearing or burning sensations. Normally, this problem results from viral or bacterial infections (1). It might be also one of common allergic reactions.
It is worth bearing in mind that this infection is easily transmitted from person to person; therefore, it is important to stay away from infected people, especially if you have babies. Pink eye will affect them severely and have side effects that you never want your kids to suffer from.
On the other hand, if your babies have already suffered from pink eye, you can actually take actions to help them reduce annoying symptoms and overcome it quickly. Some natural ingredients are highly appreciated in the treatment for pink eye in babies. They are all safe, effective and natural.
Below are top simple home remedies for pink eye in babies.
1. Breast Milk – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
The first one among top home remedies for pink eye in babies is breast milk. In addition to common benefits on a kid’s immune system, breast milk can prevent the bacterial and viral infections in their eyes.
- Simply get some drops of breast milk applied over their eyes.
- This method can be followed a few times per day to get the best results.
2. Black Tea – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
One of the best home remedies for pink eye in babies that you should apply immediately is black tea. Containing tannins which are super effective in dealing with itchiness, black tea can give your child a quick relief on painful feeling. In addition, its richness of bioflavonois can help their body fight against bacteria or virus.
- Moist black tea bags should be placed on your kids’ eyes in approximately 10 minutes.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times in several hours.
If black tea is not available, tea bag of chamomile or green tea can be alternative options.
3. Honey – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
The strong ability of honey to fight against inflammation is what makes it suitable for being one of the best home remedies for pink eye in babies. Nevertheless, you should never apply it directly over sensitive eyes of your kids. First, you need to mix it with hot water. When the mixture is cool, wash their eyes with it (2).
If you want to maximize the benefits, replace water with milk.
4. Cold Compress – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
Even in case there is no ingredient in your kitchen to make home remedies for pink eye in babies, you can still use the simplest thing to help your children – hot water. It is effective enough to treat swollen and itchy eyes resulting from allergies.
- A clean cloth should be dipped in hot water and squeezed to remove excess water.
- It should be placed over their itchy eyes and kept there for about 10 minutes.
5. Calendula – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
Another recommendation on home remedies for pink eye in babies is calendula. With strong antibacterial and antiviral qualities, calendula provides your babies with a quick relief from irritations caused by pink eye.
- 2 spoons of dried calendula should be mixed with boiling water.
- Wait until the mixture is cool and get it strained.
- Rinse the eyes of your babies with this mixture regularly.
6. Turmeric – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
Turmeric is the next suggestion on the best home remedies for pink eye in babies. Well known as a natural antibiotic, turmeric can protect your kids from pink eye’s potential damages (3).
- Mix powdered turmeric and hot water well.
- Wait until it becomes warm.
- A cotton ball should be soaked in the mixture and dabbed over itchy eyes.
Turmeric is also effective in dealing with Dark Circles under Eyes.
7. Aloe Vera – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
Thanks to the antibiotic and astringent qualities, aloe vera is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for pink eye in babies. Additionally, it is safe for every type of skin; thus, it can be used specifically by children.
- Get some of its fresh gel mixed with boiled water.
- Apply the mixture over the painful eyes a few times every day.
8. Sea Salt – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
Another simple tip among home remedies for pink eye in babies is sea salt. It is strongly antibacterial and antiviral, which are necessary qualities for treatment of this problem.
- A spoon of sea salt should be dissolved in a glass of warm water.
- Then, use the mixture to wash the eyes of your kids daily.
9. Yogurt – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
Yogurt can hinder the bacterial growth in the eyes efficiently. That’s why it can be regarded as one of the greatest home remedies for pink eye in babies. Plain or unsweetened yogurt is highly recommended and you had better rub it over the eyes with the help of a cotton ball.
10. Cucumber – Home Remedies for Pink Eye in Babies
Last but not least, cucumber also appears among top home remedies for pink eye in babies thanks to its soothing property.
- Cut a clean cucumber into slices.
- They should be placed on itchy eyes of your kids for several minutes. The itchiness and irritation will go away soon.