In this article, you are going to learn about top home remedies for fever in babies.
Fever (1) refers to the condition in which the temperature of your body is recorded to be higher than the normal one. Despite a common belief that 37 degrees C is normal, it is not true for everyone. It is worth bearing in mind that this standard varies among us, depending on a variety of factors, such as ages.
For babies, any temperature over 37.5 degrees C is considered as high and it is time you made intervention immediately. A fever can poses a series of threats to babies’ health and without proper treatment on time, he or she might suffer from some problems for the rest of his or her life.
Causes of Fever
Fever is usually mentioned as a part of illness or health disorders. When the body is getting infected with flu or cold, fever is the way it responds to inform us of the problem.
The most common symptoms of fever are headache and muscle ache, though the latter might be rarely noticed in kids. Besides, they might experience excessive sweating (2).
As mentioned above, it is crucial to cure fever in babies as soon as possible; nevertheless, drugs are not recommended because they will have side effects, especially when the immune system of babies is still very weak. Fortunately, there are some natural home remedies that can help parents get rid of this dilemma.
Below are top 10 simple natural home remedies for fever in babies.
1. Turmeric – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
The first and also one of the most effective home remedies for fever in babies is turmeric which is strongly antibacterial, antiviral, antioxidant and antifungal. Its content of curcumin can help your baby’s body eliminate the flu or cold from the inside. Its positive impacts on the immune system should not be skipped as well (3).
- Half a spoon of powdered turmeric and pepper should be mixed with warm milk.
- Let him or her drink the mixture 2-3 times on a daily basis.
2. Garlic – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
Thanks to its warm nature, garlic can become one of the best home remedies for fever in babies as it is effective in reducing the temperature of their body through sweating. This process is beneficial for the eradication of harmful toxins as well. In addition, the antibacterial and antifungal of garlic will improve babies’ immune system to fight against virus.
- Crush some garlic cloves and mix it with boiling water.
- Continue to steep them in 10 minutes before straining it.
- Then, let your babies drink it slowly a few times per day.
3. Ginger – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
Another spice that can bring the same effect as garlic is ginger. It is also one of the most home remedies for fever in babies that have been used for years. The same qualities of ginger can boost your baby’s immunity to prevent the virus from causing more discomforts.
- Powdered ginger should be mixed with warm water.
- Let your baby sit in the mixture for about 10 minutes before bedtime.
- Remember to pat dry his or her body.
Besides, you can let them use ginger tea made from grated ginger and hot water.
4. Raisins – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
The next one among top home remedies for fever in babies is raisin which contains a large amount of phenolic phytonutrients. Raisins are strongly antioxidant and antibacterial, which helps reduce the body temperature quickly.
- Place raisins under water until they are soft.
- Get them crushed along with water and strain the mixture.
- Lime juice can be added to improve the benefits.
- Then, your babies should consume it daily.
5. Fenugreek – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
The presence of essential compounds, like diosgenin, saponins, or alkaloids, in fenugreek is the key factor that makes it become one of the best home remedies for fever in babies.
- Fenugreek seeds have to be soaked in water for one night first, before getting strained.
- Your babies are recommended to consume them daily.
6. Egg White – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
One of the simplest home remedies for fever in babies that might surprise you is egg white. It serves as a cool gel which is able to lower the body temperature caused by fever.
- Get 2-3 egg white beaten well.
- Dip a cloth into the egg white and get it placed over the feet soles.
- Use socks so that the cloth does not fall off.
- Repeat this method after several hours.
7. Mint – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
Thanks to its cooling quality, mint is known as one of the greatest home remedies for fever in babies.
- Get some mint leaves crushed and mix them with hot water.
- Steep them in about 10 minutes and then, strain it.
- Honey can be added to improve the flavor and benefits.
- Let your babies consume the tea 2-3 times every day.
8. Sandalwood – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
With cooling and therapeutic qualities, sandalwood can bring the same effects as other home remedies for fever in babies. It is particularly effective to deal with headache, which is the most annoying symptom of fever.
- Half a spoon of powdered sandalwood should be mixed with water to get a thick paste.
- The paste should be applied over the baby’s forehead.
9. Onion – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
In this list of home remedies for fever in babies, another familiar ingredient coming from the kitchen is onion. You can chop a fresh onion into slices and put them under the feet soles of your baby to reduce the body temperature significantly.
10. Water – Home Remedies for Fever in Babies
Last but not least, water might sound irrelevant as one of home remedies for fever in babies, but without it, no method can help your baby stay healthy. When your baby suffers from fever, remember to make sure that he or she drinks a sufficient amount of water. You can use different types of juice to change the tastes, such as orange juice and lemon juice which are both beneficial for the immunity.