The website will shed light on top effective home remedies for cough in kids.
Causes of Cough
Coughing is a normal reaction of our body when something is irritating in the throat. However, when coughing happens continuously and excessively, it might cause a lot of discomforts and even have negative effects on the health. It could be the sign of viral infections or cold (1). When cough is witnessed often in kids, then attention should be really drawn to it.
As there is a variety of causes for cough, it is hard to decide whether medicines should be used or not. In fact, when cough happens to kids, medicines are not recommended. There are a lot of natural ingredients that have helped millions of people get rid of cough for years. There is no reason to deny applying them to kids.
Below are top practical home remedies for cough in kids.
1. Garlic – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
One of the first and best home remedies for cough in kids that you need to remember is garlic. Its antimicrobial and antibacterial qualities are strong enough to put an end to cough almost immediately (2).
- Put some garlic cloves into water and pour one spoon of oregano oil.
- Boil them in several minutes and wait until it becomes cool.
- Honey can be added to maximize the benefits.
- Let your kids consume it daily.
2. Ginger – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
Ginger is the second among top home remedies for cough in kids. Like garlic, it is inexpensive and usually available in every kitchen.
- Ginger should be cut into slices and then, crushed.
- Place crushed ginger into water and boil them for a few minutes.
- When it is cool, your kids can drink it 2-3 times on a daily basis to get rid of cough effectively.
3. Turmeric – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
With therapeutic property, turmeric is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for cough in kids (3).
- Prepare hot water and powdered turmeric.
- Mix them together and then, pour one spoon of black pepper and powdered cinnamon into it.
- After 2-3 minutes of boiling, the mixture should be consumed by kids.
4. Honey – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
Other home remedies for cough in kids might not be attractive for kids because of their smell, but honey can definitely persuade any kid thanks to its sweetness. Furthermore, honey can help them stop coughing effectively without any side effect on health.
It can be consumed raw or combined with other ingredients, such as milk or herbal tea, to drink on a daily basis.
5. Lemon – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
There are many ways to apply lemon in the treatment for cough, which makes it special among home remedies for cough in kids. With strong anti-inflammatory quality, lemon can protect the weak immune system of kids from bacterial or viral infections. In addition, its high content of vitamin C will boost their immunity significantly.
The best way for kids is to let them consume the mixture of raw honey and fresh lemon juice a few times every day.
6. Carrot – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
Carrot has been well-known for its positive effects on the eyes and skin for ages. You should not be surprised when knowing it is one of the best home remedies for cough in kids as well.
- Squeeze some carrots to get fresh juice.
- Later, mix it with water and one spoon of organic honey.
- Let your kids consume the mixture more than 3 times on a daily basis.
7. Grapes – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
One of the quickest home remedies for cough in kids is to make your kids consume some grapes immediately. If you have more time, prepare its juice combined with honey for your kids to drink regularly during the day. The richness of vitamins and nutrients in grapes is super beneficial for the health in general and the respiratory system in particular.
8. Onion – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
Although kids might not like this remedy, it is undeniable that onion is one of the most effective home remedies for cough in kids. Simply take a breath of onion’s vapor can help reduce cough immediately.
- Prepare a mixture of baked onion juice and raw honey.
- Then, let your kids consume it every day.
9. Cayenne Pepper – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
Being stimulating and warming, cayenne is the next recommendation on home remedies for cough in kids. It is also effective to deal with other consequences of coughing, such as chest pain.
- ¼ spoon of powdered cayenne pepper and an equal amount of grinded ginger should be mixed with water.
- Raw honey can be added to get better results.
- Your kids are suggested to drink it 2-3 times every day.
10. Almonds – Home Remedies for Cough in Kids
Last but not least, almonds, with its nutritional richness, are appreciated among home remedies for cough in kids.
- Some almonds need to be soaked in water 8-10 hours before you use it.
- Then, grind them.
- Let your kids consume it along with butter several times per day.