This article will shed light on top natural home remedies for congestion in toddlers.
Few people are well aware of nasal congestion (1), especially when it happens to toddlers. In fact, it occurs when you suffer from illness or cold. Congestion refers to the concentration of mucus in the nasal passages and triggers inflammation in blood vessels. As a result, sufferers might have difficulty breathing or feel irritated in their throat. Congestion might also lead to coughing and dizziness (2) (3).
Causes of Congestion
The most common causes for congestion are the environmental factors and a weakened immune system. It means that toddlers are more vulnerable because their immunity is not strong enough to fight against bacteria and virus in this increasingly polluted environment.
Any health problem to toddlers can have negative effects in the long term; therefore, it is a good idea to start the treatment as soon as possible. In order to avoid side effects, natural ingredients are more highly appreciated when it comes to toddlers.
Below are top 10 home remedies for congestion in toddlers.
1. Ginger – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
With anti-inflammatory quality, ginger is one of the best home remedies for congestion in toddlers. It can enhance your immune system significantly at the same time. Besides, you can help your toddlers get rid of the mucus concentration quickly thanks to the presence of polyphenols in ginger (4).
- Cut a fresh ginger into slices and put them into boiling water.
- Keep steeping them in about 5 minutes before getting it strained.
- You can pour a bit honey to make it easier for toddlers to consume.
- The mixture should be consumed 2-3 times on a daily basis.
2. Steam – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
Another simple tip among the best home remedies for congestion in toddlers is to inhale the steam. The heat will reduce the accumulation of mucus quickly.
- Prepare boiling water in a bowl.
- You should pour some drops of essential oils, such as peppermint oil, to maximize the benefits.
- Then, keep your toddlers inhaling the steam in several minutes.
3. Onion – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
The presence of quercetin makes onion become one of the most effective home remedies for congestion in toddlers. Not only does it eliminate mucus quickly, but is also effective in preventing the potential concentration.
- Get the fresh juice from one onion.
- Mix it with the same quantity of lemon juice and water.
- Warm up the mixture and let your toddlers consume it daily.
4. Garlic – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
Bringing the same effect as ginger, garlic can be seen as one of the best home remedies for congestion in toddlers. With its antibacterial and antifungal qualities, it should be consumed raw to get the best result. Nevertheless, if your toddlers cannot bear the smells of garlic, try including it in cooking.
5. Salt – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
If your toddlers are not willing to use ingredients with strong smell, then salt will be one of the most suitable home remedies for congestion in toddlers. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial qualities, salt can help soothe the irritated throat and remove mucus quickly.
- One spoon of salt should be dissolved in warm water.
- Let your toddlers gargle with it several times per day.
6. Turmeric – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
Curcumin found in turmeric plays the key role in expectorating mucus in the throat and provides your toddlers with a relief from pain. Furthermore, this strongly anti-inflammatory ingredient is super effective in dealing with common symptoms of congestion, such as cough.
Let your toddlers use the mixture from powdered turmeric and warm water to gargle every day.
7. Honey – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
One of the most popular home remedies for congestion in toddlers is honey, because of its antibacterial and antiviral qualities. As a result, honey can reduce the risk of infections significantly. Besides, its sweetness is a great plus when it is consumed by toddlers.
- One spoon of honey should be mixed with warm water.
- Consume it several times per day.
8. Lemon – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
The strong acidity of lemon is great enough to remove the mucus concentrated in the throat. Furthermore, its high content of vitamin C will give a boost to toddlers’ immune system, which enables them to fight against infections efficiently.
- Pour one spoon of fresh lemon juice into a cup of warm water.
- Mix a bit honey.
- It should be consumed a few times per day.
9. Licorice – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
Known as an expectorant, licorice serves as one of the best home remedies for congestion in toddlers. The most annoying symptoms of this problem, from irritations in the throat to breathing difficulties, will be treated quickly.
- Half a spoon of licorice root should be put into boiling water.
- Steep them in the next 5 minutes and get the mixture strained.
- Honey can be added before letting your toddlers consume the tea daily.
10. Tomato Juice – Home Remedies for Congestion in Toddlers
Not only is tomato known as a rich source of vitamin C, but it also provides a huge amount of vitamin A to improve the immune system. Thus, it can be seen as one of the most natural and effective home remedies for congestion in toddlers.
- Prepare warm tomato juice and mix it with one spoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Let your toddlers consume it twice on a daily basis.